May = Mental Health Month, which everyone should celebrate every day of the year.
Mental health is essential to everyone’s health, well-being, and overall inner peace. The news is always breaking on school shootings, young people committing suicide, women suffering from abuse from a lot of men who have been abused themselves, and the same people who the overall public looks up to entering more treatment facilities. It is indispensable now to connect with one’s self and to acknowledge the problems and traumas that a lot of people go through.
Live Better Louisiana is taking a step towards helping people focus on bettering themselves one day at a time. They have compiled a list of things that can help in fighting and conquering mental illness:
- Animal companionship: Pets and/or service animals can have a major impact on someone’s quality of life. Having the company of an animal can help the recovery of an illness that someone is going through.
- Spirituality & religion: Whether you do meditation or read the Bible, it is important to take care of one’s soul. A combination of or picking one of meditation, yoga, and prayer can be vitally important in finding inner peace.
- Humor: Rashida Jones said it best when she said, “If you have a good sense of humor and a good approach to life, that’s beautiful.” Humor is known to lift people’s spirits in tough times. It also helps people better deal with & overcome difficult experiences.
- Work-Life Balance: work allows people to provide for their families as well as feel that they are serving in their communities. People just need to make sure that their jobs do not overextend into their personal life.
- Social connections: finding people who have similar interests as they will make people feel that they have a place in the world. It will make them feel that they belong & that they are wanted. Find groups or recreation activities that will get people out and about.